Sunday, March 02, 2008

Healthcare - IT and Google

So now Mrs. Smith will see special suggestions on how to control her diabetes and how to keep her cholesterol and blood pressure under control as per google’s ads on her personal google online Health record.

Marissa Mayer, VP, Search and user products, Google, on 28th Feb blogged about the new google product “Google Health”.

No, No, Google is going to provide you with a very secure product, maintaining integrity and what not. It’s going to give you a perfect organizer to access your online medical records from various service providers in a common place, online, anywhere in the world.

Just imagine if I can read your email (gmail), I can read your online word docs and spread sheets (google docs), I can see what images you see (picasa), I can see what pages you browse on web (web history), I can see what you like on your front page everyday (iGoogle) and I know your health profile (google health), obviously I am not going to use that information.

Quoting Marissa Mayer: “We won't sell or share your data without your explicit permission.” Obviously you won’t, why do you need to sell it? You can very well use it for 3rd party ads yourself!

I think this is a much deeper connection (tracking in marketing terms) that google will be able to leverage. Must say this is true innovation as per google’s philosophy!

No comments:

Share this

Bookmark and Share